Total Pageviews

Friday 3 January 2014

Things are changing

I don't quite know how to start because my life has had the biggest flip and tumble that I could never have planned for. I think my blog is about to do the same! I'll start from the beginning which was the 16th of December 2013

I was feeling pretty healthy, but I had thought I must be constipated, I hadn't pooed for 4 days and my tummy just felt a bit bloated. I had a lot of wind that was moving around in my bowels, but for some reason, I couldn't pass it. That didn't seem like such a big deal to me and I just hoped it would resolve itself. On the fourth night, I started vomiting, and that was the cue to go to our local hospital. I had an x ray and the radiographer said, by the look of it you'll need a ct scan. That was the first hint that things were worse than I thought.

Within a few hours, I was signing a document that gave my permission for the surgeon to take out what looked like bowel cancer that had grown big enough to block it completely, they were afraid that if they didn't do it straight away, it could perforate! So I woke up in a nightmare, too soon, pain killers not taking effect yet, with a colostomy bag and feeling very afraid about my future! The dr also found that the cancer had spread and there are also spots on my liver.

That's the short version!

I'm at home now, I've had the staples out, which was another ordeal! I have to inject myself every day with a blood thinner so I don't get a clot in my lung. I'm getting used to the colostomy bag, and they tell me that it is reversible, though I'm not sure why I would put my hand up to go through that operation again!

I'm seeing the oncologist on Monday and that will be where reality sets in! There will be a whole lot of treatment and I'm going to have to toughen up a lot to get through the next bit! I have an amazing family, wonderful neighbours and friends who will be beside me all the way.

Losing weight is a definite no no! I am now not allowed to lose weight. I have to eat lots of protein and carbs.

I am so glad that I lost 16kg before all this happened! And I'm also glad that I have a buffer of weight that will help with the fight that is to come. I'm so glad that I was able to eat healthy food for the last 6 months so that other than the cancer, my body is strong and more healthy than it would have been, had I not started the 2/5 diet. This diet proved to me that I can do it on my own, and I think that lesson will come in handy in the future. I have willpower and strength of character. I see now that this diet has been part of the preparation for the next part of my journey. I have no regrets about doing the diet, and I'm sure that my weight loss was from my work, not the cancer!
Since the operation, another 4kg has fallen off, weather they cut it out, or I vomited it out or it's just fluid that is now leaving me now that I'm recovering. A Dietitian worked out that at the moment, I need to eat just under 2000 calories per day to not loose weight and repair what has been damaged. That's a mighty lot of food! I'm finding it hard to eat that much.

I'd love you all to try and leave me some words of encouragement, please! I'd also love to encourage you to stay on your journey, be strong in your endeavour to stick to the plan and eat healthy food and loose weight.


This is me about a week after the operation, trying to smile, even though I didn't feel like smiling


This was Christmas lunch in Hospital, it was as dry as it looked! The roast sweet potato was the best thing on the plate. I couldn't finish the meal.


I eventually got a private room and my darling Husband brought me in a decorated Christmas tree and fairy lights that were battery operated, for in the tree and on the end of my bed, he brought in all our Christmas cards and there were beautiful flowers and cards and plaques with encouraging and loving words.


this is me at the end of my Hospital stay, still scared and sore, able to change my stoma bag myself, able to get out of bed myself and walk around. I'd lost 4kg over the 2 weeks I was in Hospital but I mustn't lose any more! There is a plan being formulated right now, and I'll just have to live every day, day by day, till I get through this. It's a new and different journey, one that I wouldn't wish on anyone else, so if you are given the opportunity to take a poo test to screen for bowl cancer, just do it, don't be embarrassed and throw it away like I did! do it, and save yourself this agony, and that of your family!

Please try to leave me a message, I would really appreciate it right now
regards Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment