Total Pageviews

Friday 14 March 2014

Hopeful news after my second CT scan

This is just a bit of an update, I seem to be so busy these days I don't get much time to post on my blog, but here is the latest news...
After my 4th round of chemo, I had a CT scan which involved fasting for 4 hours beforehand and then arriving at the hospital an hour before the scan so that I could drink this special liquid that helps the scan show more. It has a terrible after taste, but it's manageable. You have to drink one cup, then wait 15 minutes, then drink another, and so on until at least 4 cups have been drunk. Fun!
While all this is going on, I had to have a cannula inserted into my arm so that when you are under the machine, they can pump another contrast liquid into you. This one makes you feel suddenly warm inside and you feel like you want to wee. No worries, it's just a feeling.
Ok, drink is drunk, cannula is inserted without too much fuss, and it's time to have the scan done.
No worries, this time, they remembered to tell me I could breathe again, after they told me to hold my breath. In and out a few times and it was all over.
Now it's just a waiting game. It's hard to wait when you have no idea what is happening inside you.
2 weeks later and I went to see my oncologist, and the good news is that the chemo treatment is working. The cancer in my lungs is shrinking, and the other cancers are stable at the moment. That's something to thank God for, and all those lovely people who have been praying for me! For the doctors and nurses who are treating me, and my family and friends who surround me with love and care.
I am so thankful to all of you, and I'm still here, hoping that one day, I'll be free of this insidious disease!
My hair has thinned more than the Doctor had anticipated, he said I am one of the un lucky ones, but I still have some and I'm planning to get it cut off shorter soon. It's hard to see it falling out all the time, but if that's all I have to worry about, then I'm lucky!
This last week has been a huge week for me. My daughters left on a 5 week trip of a lifetime overseas, and on the same day, my friend from Melbourne arrived, and we went up to the Blue Mountains for an overnight stay in a beautiful B&B. we dined out that night in a quirky restaurant and spoiled ourselves with a decadent desert, up late that night. More sunshine, markets and wonderful panoramas and the odd pastry. More late nights. Home to another round of chemo, friend leaving and another one arriving! Dinner with friends and another late night, choir the next day and a rest in the afternoon, then another late night! Bottle removed and a rest, fish for dinner. Yesterday, I got my eyes tested and chose some very bright glasses frames, then said goodbye to my other friend who had also come up from Melbourne. The girls have only been gone one week and it feels like a lifetime! It's been great having so much happening, but I'm spending the next few days not doing too much. It's time for a rest!
Feel free to drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you!
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment