Total Pageviews

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Healthy Brownies for an occasional treat



These Brownies are what I was experimenting with the other day
They have been tested by my husband and I, and have been given the thumbs up!
I based them on another recipe, but I've made a few changes.

Healthy Brownies

Ingredients:

150g apple sauce
200g mashed banana
3/4 cup smart sugar (195g)
2 tsp vanilla extract (10ml)
50g cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
300g (2 cups) grated zucchini 
2 cups Self Raising Flour
60g (1/2 cup) walnut pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Mix all wet ingredients together with the smart sugar.
Then add sifted cocoa, SR flour salt zucchini and walnuts
Line a 28cm x 33cm pan
(11 x 13 inch) 
Or 2 x pans that make up that size altogether

Spread mixture over lined tray
Bake in moderate oven for about 25minutes or until brownies spring back when touched

Cool in pan, then cut into 24 equal slices

If you use normal sugar, each slice is about 120 calories
If you use smart sugar, each slice is about 102 calories


Smart sugar is a mix of natural sugar and Stevia extract, a natural plant ingredient which can be up to 300 times sweeter than sugar. Smart sugar is blended so that you only use 1/2 the amount of sugar you would normally use, and you still get the same sweet result. Lower in calories!

I freeze the brownies after they have been cooled and cut, between sheets of baking paper, in airtight containers. When I plan to treat myself, I just get a slice out of the freezer an hour or two before I plan to eat it, and put the rest back in the freezer. They taste great if you thaw them, then microwave for 20 seconds, and then have them with coffee ice cream! And a strawberry!


enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment