Total Pageviews

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Holiday at Henty


Last week, my husband and I went on a sort of holiday to a place called Henty, which is a small country town not far from Aulbury in New South Wales, Australia. It took us about 6 hours to drive there from our home, quite a lovely drive. I had booked earlier in the year, to have a stall in the ladies lifestyle tent at the Henty Machinery Field Day event which is held over 3 full days each year in September. This year, it was the 50th Anniversary! I have been doing a stall there for the past 3 years, selling floral jewellery made from bread dough, hand painted greeting cards, and lots more hand made things, and its been lots of fun. The best part, is that we were so fortunate to find accommodation on a farm near the event, we have met the most beautiful people and we come home to wonderful home cooked, home grown dinners and a great family atmosphere to relax in after a very busy day! Thank you so much Kate and Graham for your warm hospitality, you always make our Henty holiday a pleasure!


The fields of canola are so beautiful with their bright yellow blooms at this time of year! I wasn't able to take too many great photos because we were getting up early and driving back to the farm late in the afternoon when the light was dim. This photo was taken out the car window on the last day of the event, on the run.

  
This is part of the farm where we stayed.


These are some of the shots I took as we drove from the farm on the last day
It was such a beautiful morning!


The event is held in a field that has a grid of roads and a few buildings, and each year, people come from all over the country and tents go up everywhere to make what resembles a town!
There is even a bank! A fabulous Farm Gate Market where they sell beautiful breads, produce, cheeses, wines, jams and sauces etc.


On the first 2 days, these roads were mud and slush this year, setting up in the rain is not much fun!


You can see some of the puddles in this picture.

That was the background for my holiday story, my main dilemma was that I knew there would be very long days, and not much control over the food I would be eating. The Country Women's Association were selling all kinds of slices and cakes with tea and coffee in the same huge tent that my stall was in. There were not that many healthy choices for lunch, and it is so hard to resist what was on offer at the farm. 

With all this in mind, I made a big decision before we went away, to have a holiday from my diet.
It was lovely to forget about weighing, measuring and saying no to food, but I did feel nervous about what would happen when I got back on the scales when I got home. I kept telling myself that what goes on easily should go off easily too, but there was a nervous feeling inside me.

Well, as I thought, I did gain weight! 1.5kg in fact! in one week.

This did my head in quite a bit to be honest. Even though I thought I had prepared myself for what would happen, it still made it hard to think that it was possible to get back on track and lose what I had gained! I gave myself a day to not think about it (even though I did), then I decided to do a 1200 calorie   day, but fell off in the afternoon by eating a whole lot of maltesers! Try again!

I had a talk to myself, and said "you can do this, you've done it before!"

The next day I successfully managed a 500 calorie fasting day, and guess what, I lost a whole kilo! 
I wondered if this was too good to be true, but after doing a 1200 calorie day yesterday, I was still the same weight, and today, I am fasting for the second time this week so I'm hoping that I might be back to what I was before I went away!

The moral of this story is that if you go on holiday from your diet, it is possible to get back on track, as long as you don't leave it too long after you get back, and be prepared for the weight gain disappointment, it plays powerful tricks with your mind. Make a plan and stick to it, you'll soon see good results if you hang in there.

I'm 100g off my 10kg goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment