Total Pageviews

Monday 26 August 2013

My Stuffed Capsicum Cups - filling and delicious


This was last night's Dinner 

My Husband enjoyed it so much, he wanted to take some for lunch today!
I was given these capsicums by the lovely lady at our local green grocer and I knew that they needed to be used, so I decided to use up some of the things in the fridge that would make a great stuffing.
I remember as a child, we had a beautiful neighbour that would sometimes make us Sunday lunch in return for Dad mowing her lawn. She came from Europe somewhere and the food she made was so different and somehow extra delicious! I still crave the flavours she introduced to us...
This is my inspiration for our dinner last night. 


While I was baking the stuffed capsicum, I roasted some pumpkin
And other vegetables that needed using.
I served one stuffed capsicum with 100g of roast pumpkin
And 1 cup of rainbow salad, dressed with a calorie free dressing
( pictured and mentioned in other posts )


This recipe serves 4 - 145 calories per serve
 (not including salad or pumpkin)

We discovered last night, that one capsicum is enough
( so you'll have some left for tomorrow's lunch or for freezing )


4 green capsicum cups (I cut the tops off and removed the seeds) 450g raw

135g leek (sliced finely)
100g short cut bacon all fat removed ( diced )
67g (2xmedium) mushrooms (diced)
1 medium tomato (diced)
1/2 heaped cup cooked brown medium grain rice

Spray a non stick pan with a tiny spray of olive oil spray
Slowly cook the leek, bacon, mushroom 
Then add the tomato and the cooked brown rice
Turn the heat off and place a lid over the mixture for 5 min

Evenly distribute the cooked mixture into each of the 4 capsicum cups 
Press the mixture in firmly 

Mix 1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce with
1/2 cup water
Pour the tomato sauce mix into the base of a small oven proof dish
(Making sure that all 4 cups will fit into the dish)
Place the stuffed capsicum cups into the dish in the tomato sauce mixture

Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of Grated Parmesan Cheese over each cup
(That's 2 tablespoons altogether)

Bake in a hot oven for approx. 30 minutes

Use your oven wisely, bake other vegetables so you can use them in salads later.


altogether, this delicious meal was approx. 190 calories

I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch!

Note: when I cook Medium grain brown rice, I always cook more than I need,
that way I can pack away heaped 1/2 cup portions to freeze and use later.
(cooked medium grain brown rice - 75g = 84 calories)

No comments:

Post a Comment